Attachment 2882Attachment 2883
Hopefully this helps, they are supposedly all original....I am asking for better cone pictures
Printable View
Attachment 2882Attachment 2883
Hopefully this helps, they are supposedly all original....I am asking for better cone pictures
Try to get cone number pics... The cones look awfully dark..Need to see the surrounds also. Need some close ups to be sure..I am always skeptical when someone tries to sell something with terrible photos... I'm always asking myself what are they trying to hide ?
Its 6pm now.. Original 411's had a inverted cloth rolled surround that looks wet/doped. Recones used a regular foam surround.Check the Barcelona they came in them first..IIRC.The cones are ribbed as well.If they are not original cones it will cost you a couple C notes or more to recone them at GPA.Then I would offer 100-150 if they need to be reconed.If they are in good working original condition then 200 is a steal.
http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ome/page04.jpg
I also should have said that Altec changed to a regular foam surround during the 411 production as well the very first original 411's had the inverted cloth roll..Look at the Altec data sheet and they have already went to the foam surround.
http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/vint...spec_sheet.pdf
Only until the point Altec realized the design was a flop. At some point in '73 or '74 they began leaving the factory with a foam surround.Quote:
Original 411's had a inverted cloth rolled surround that looks wet/doped.
The 411's in the pic above look like their cones have been spray painted. The original cones were dyed with a dye that wasn't UV stable and the cones fade easily.
An LE-15 cone is almost a direct replacement.
Why a flop? The [only] pair I messed with were fine for years after till they moved. Must have been a !@#$%^ to install though.
GM
OK, I got them. The cones are ribbed and they have the foam surrounds. They look real good. We played some music through them. The guy said they came out of a pair of Barcelonas. He tried to sell the 411s, 511Bs and 80X drivers as a set. I bought the woofers for $200.
Not sure if I will ever used them but they showed up at the right time.
The guy was probably telling you the truth as the HF drivers also in the picture look like 808-8A Symbiotiks.I should have posted this photo as well which is in the Altec is Now catalog.The Altec employee is doping the surround it looks like with some kind of glue.On the original 411's.
Congrats on the 411's.. I liked the 411's, they have some massive magnets on them don't they ?
http://www.hostboard.com/forums/hbmc...1.jpg~original
should have gotten the 80whatevers also, if he let the 411s go for 200, you might have gotten them for 150. never can have enough hf drivers on hand. :)
and yeah AB i'm still trying to settle on the best setup for them. they have a wonderful sound. i just need to try a couple more box styles and hf pairing. i'm thinking MR994As with 800 or 900 series drivers.